Opiskelijalle sivut banneri.jpg
Home / English homepage - Lapland UAS / Students / Study guide, Master's Degree Programme Students / Starting your studies

Registering as a student


The practices involved in registering as a university of applied sciences student and losing the right to study comply with the regulations of the Polytechnic Act (351/2003, §23–25).

Students must register as attending or non-attending every academic year.
Students continuing their studies must register via WinhaWille between 15.4 and 31.7.2014.

Students beginning their studies must register at the same time as they accept their student place. Students register for one academic year at a time. However, if the right to study ends in December, registration is only for the autumn semester.

Registration status may be changed during the academic year for a special reason by applying for a decision from the director of the school. Special reasons include significant changes in the student’s life situation, such as the student’s or a family member’s serious illness, maternity or paternity leave, or military or civil service. A written document from the relevant official concerning the reason must always be enclosed with the application. The change in registration status becomes effective at the beginning of the month following the application date and ends at the end of the current academic year.

A student may register as non-attending for a maximum total of two academic years during the entire duration of studies. A non-attending student may not attend classes, take exams, complete practical training or receive guidance in completing the thesis project.

A student loses his or her right to study if he or she fails to register as attending or non-attending before the deadline. By application the director of the school may restore the right to study, primarily starting from the beginning of the following academic year. The university of applied sciences has detailed instructions concerning registering as a student.

Specialisation studies
Students beginning their studies must register as a student approved for the specialisation studies in question before the announced deadline. By registering, the student agrees to pay the semester fee for specialisation studies.

If you wish to terminate your studies, fill in the Notice of resignation form.