Opiskelijalle sivut banneri.jpg
Home / English homepage - Lapland UAS / Students / Student Support Services / Study-related social benefits

Study-related social benefits

Financial aid is available from Kela for post-comprehensive school education.

While you are in school, you may be eligible for


Financial aid can be awarded for full-time study in an upper secondary school, vocational institution or institution of higher education. The amount of financial aid available depends on your age, your accommodation and the type of school you are enrolled in. It is also affected by your income and sometimes also by your parents’ and your spouse's income.

Financial aid for foreign students

If you are not a Finnish citizen, you may be entitled to financial aid with education in Finland if

  • you are registered as a permanent resident of Finland in the population register system and
  • your purpose for residence in Finland is something other than education (for example, work, family ties or return migration).


If you are in Finland for the express purpose of attending school, you are not eligible for financial aid from Finland.

Permanent residence in Finland is determined by reference to the Municipality of Residence Act (kotikuntalaki/lagen om hemkommun, 201/1994). The purpose of residence in Finland is determined in different ways depending on one’s nationality.

For Further Information

Centre for Student Financial Aid
Mailing address
PO Box 228, 40101 Jyväskylä
Fax 020 634 6710
Phone service 020 692 209, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.