Tutoring is study guidance which aims at advancing and helping the student to improve one’s independent learning process. A tutor helps the student to achieve one’s goals and adjust in the academic school system.
Tutoring is in practise done by student tutors and the Study Counsellor. Each new group will get their own student tutor, who advises the students of the group individually on their studies. They also introduce the school and the town and its services to the new students. You can contact your own student tutor whether it concerns studies or hobbies. For discussion of the content of a particular course, students should contact the teacher of the course.
Student Counselor guides you on your study path particularly in the following situations:
- Initial phase of the studies
- Special support needed in challenges related to learning and studying
- At the end of the studies and graduation phase
For many, starting studies in a university of applied sciences, means entering a new situation in life. The most important factor that eases studying at the start is interaction with other people who are in the same situation. Student tutors provide support and information for studying and organize free time activities for the firs year students.
The purpose of student tutoring is to facilitate and support the new student’s integration into and orientation to the UAS community and the new situation in life. It is especially important for new students to meet their fellow students. The goal of tutoring is to awaken the student’s own activeness and reinforce interaction between the student and the staff of the Lapland UAS. The tutor acts as a bridge between the new student and the staff of the Lapland UAS.
Student Union ROTKO organize student tutor training once a year for students who are interested to become a student tutor. Follow the Student Union's web page to get more information about applying processes or you can ask more from your study counselor.
- The purpose of tutoring is to:
- Promote a new group’s bonding
- Create a positive atmosphere
- Disseminate information
- Familiarize new students with the UAS and student life
- Arrange various events
- Develop activities
- Ensure the continuity of tutoring
Guide for student tutors
Other counselling staff
teachers, heads of degree programmes and other staff members
- teachers providing guidance in practical training and contact persons in practical training
- international relations co-ordinator (matters related to international exchanges)
- teachers providing guidance in thesis projects
- open university of applied sciences
- admissions office
- international relations office
- library and information services
- study affairs offices
- health care services
- virtual studies support services
SCHOOL SOCIAL WORK AND STUDENT COUNCELLING
School social work and student councelling -service encourages and supports students with their studies and helps coping with big and small challenges or phases in student life (for example stress, motivation, loneliness, homesickness). For more information visit School social work and student councelling webpage or contact:
Kemi and Tornio campus
Ms Maria Sipilä
mobile +358 (0)40 847 4219
Ms Paula Perttunen
mobile +358 404844243