Home / English homepage - Lapland UAS / Students / Practical information / Health insurance

Health insurance


Citizens of the EU/EEA

The Finnish National Health Insurance plan administrated by the Social Insurance Institution (KELA) covers citizens of the EU/EEA. You need to get a European Health Insurance Card from your local social security office in your home country before departure. Find out about the validity period of the card. You will be offered the same services as Finnish citizens and your health expenses will be covered on the same conditions. You still need to have a valid travel insurance which covers the possible healthcare costs.


Non-EU/EEA citizens

You must have a valid comprehensive insurance cover issued by a reliable and solvent company or institution. If your studies in Finland last less than two years, you must have private insurance which primarily covers the costs of medical treatment up to about 100 000€. If your studies in Finland last two years or more, you will usually have a home municipality in Finland (Kemi , Rovaniemi or Tornio) and are entitled to municipal healthcare services. Therefore your private insurance should primarily cover the cost of medicines up to about 30 000 €. For further information go to the website of the Finnish immigration service  (> In English > First residence permit > Studying in Finland > Filling in the application > Insurance)