Wintertime (November- April) can be very cold time of the year in Finland- especially in Lapland. Temperatures are most of the time below zero and temperatures such as -20C and -30C are quite normal from December to March. Sometimes it can get even colder! That is why you should really prepare yourself with warm clothing. You should at least have quilted jacket or windproof coat with warm lining, insulated shoes, a warm hat and gloves.
One good tip is to wear clothes in layers. The air between the layers will help you to keep warm. For example you can wear underwear with long sleeves and legs and put regular clothing on top of it. Don’t forget your winter coat, gloves, hat and scarf. When it is really cold, you might want to add insulated trousers to the list. It is always good to have wool sweater and warm socks, just in case the temperature drops down.
Example of dressing in winter
- Underwear with long sleeves and legs
- Trousers Woolen Jumper/Fleece
- Winter Trousers and Jacket (quilted)
- Hat (wool, quilted material or fur cap), Head without cover will give off 80% of your bodyheat.
- Gloves or mittens (wool, quilted material, leather with lining)
- (Wool)socks and winter shoes (thick bottom and lining), Remember that the shoes should be big enough to move your toes. Always use dry socks and shoes!