Home / English homepage - Lapland UAS / Students / Guide for new students

To enroll for non-attendance student

All new students are to enrol for attendance or non-attendance. Only the students who have enrolled for attendance have right of study

The student may register his/her absence via OILI or Submit the conformation form to the address given at the bottom of the page so that by sent date at the latest. If the confirmation form reaches the higher education institution after the deadline, you will lose the study place.

According to the Universities Act/Polytechnics Act, a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:

  1. service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
  2. pregnancy or parental leave
  3. the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury. (In this case, it could be made clear that this entails incapacity for the entire semester (or academic year).)
  4. In the first academic year, a student may also register as non-attending if he or she is unable to commence his or her studies due to an official regulation relating to the COVID-19 epidemic or some other serious grounds relating to the epidemic. (516/2020) Subsection 4 as added by virtue of Act 516/2020 is temporarily in force from 1 July 2020 to 31 July 2022

You may register your absence from Lapland University of Applied Sciences via OILI or by sending conformation form by post or by email, but you must prove the legal grounds for your absence. Documents proving the legal grounds for your absence should be sent via email or post, or presented to the Admissions Services. Your documents must be received by set date and time.

If you do not present your documents by the deadline, you will lose your right to study.

The above-mentioned reasons do not use up your study entitlement time. You must be able to prove the reason of your absence upon request. The absence period is a maximum of 1 academic year.

  • If you have been absent because of military or non-military service or women’s voluntary military service during your first academic year, or you have been on maternity, paternity or parental leave, you are entitled to enrol as absent for one more academic year (two terms) for any reason during the rest of your studies (this absence does not use up your study entitlement time).
  • If you have been absent because of your own illness or disability during your first academic year, you cannot enrol as absent any more; therefore your possible absence during later academic years uses up your study entitlement time.
  • If you accept your study place and start your studies after 1 August 2015 and you are attending during your first academic year, you are entitled to enrol as absent for one academic year (two terms) for any reason during the rest of your studies.

You cannot complete studies or participate in instruction during your absence. You are not entitled to study grant, meal subsidy or other student benefits (e.g. fare discounts). If you enrol as absent, please remember to cancel your study grant through the e-Services of Kela (The Social Insurance Institution of Finland) at www.kela.fi/asiointi

As an absent student, you have to enrol for next year on schedule. When you continue your studies after your absence, please review your personal study plan and observe the currently valid study plan which may have been changed.

More details:

A  student  starting  their  studies  must  register  for  attendance/non-attendance  when  accepting the study place.

After accepting a study place, students may only register as non-attending without the non-attendance period consuming the normative duration of the studies if they, during their first academic year,

1)   complete service in accordance with the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007) or the Act on Women’s Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)

Document:  Conscription  card  (Finnish  only),  which  proves  that  the  student’s  military service will take place during the academic year.

2)   are on maternity, paternity or parental leave

Documents:  Kela  certificate  of  maternity,  paternity  or  parental  allowance  period  or,  if  it  is  too  early  for  the  certificate,  a  medical  certificate  of  the  pregnancy. Paternity leave can be proved with a Kela certificate  of  paternity  leave  or,  if  the  baby  has  not  been  born  yet,  a  medical  certificate  of  the  partner’s  pregnancy.  Equivalent  certificates  from  the  authorities  of  other  countries regarding statutory parental leave are also accepted.

3)   are  unable  to  start  their  studies  due  to  an  illness  or  disability

Documents:  Sickness  allowance  decision  or,  if  such  a  decision  has  not  been  issued,  a  medical  certificate.  The  medical  certificate  must  indicate  the  nature  of  the  illness or disability and that it prevents the student from starting their studies.A   sufficient   account   regarding   the   obstacles   caused   by   the   practical   arrangements required by the illness or disability, such as a student housing foundation certificate that the student is in queue for a special flat required by their  disability.  The  student’s  own  statement  is  not  sufficient.  The  account  must  also  indicate  how  the  matter  will  be  arranged.  A  disability  is  a  permanent  state;  invoking  a  disability  alone  is  not  sufficient.  The  student  must invoke another temporary reason related to the disability.

Continuing  students  must  register  as  attending  or  non-attending  every  academic  year  according  to  the  procedure  specified  by  the  university  of  applied  sciences  (932/2014,  Section  29).  Students  register  for  one  academic  year  at  a  time.  However,  if  the  right  to  study  will  end  in  December,  the  student  in  question  can  only  register  for  the  autumn  semester. A separate notification is provided of the registration method.

Without special grounds as specified in the applicable legislation, a continuing student may not register as non-attending for more than two semesters during the entire duration of the studies  without  the  non-attendance  period  consuming  the  normative  duration  of  the  studies.  A  non-attending  student  cannot  attend  classes  or  exams  organised  by  the  UAS, complete practical training as a part of studies or receive guidance in a thesis project.

The registration information can be changed during an academic year on special grounds (please  note  the  limitations  regarding  the  first  year  of  studies)  by  contacting  the  student  services.  The  special  grounds  can  be  significant  changes  in  the  student’s  life,  such  as  severe illness of the student or their family member, maternity or paternity leave, military or non-military  service.  If  necessary,  the  application  must  include  a  written  certificate  of  the  matter from the relevant authority.

Contact details for sending documents and for additional information

Lapland UAS Admissions Office, Jokiväylä 11 C , FI-96300 Rovaniemi, Finland
tel +358 (0)40 511 8659 or +358 +358 (0) 400 830036