Opiskelijalle sivut banneri.jpg
Home / English homepage - Lapland UAS / Students / Going abroad / Preparing mobility period / Checklist for student exchange

    Checklist for the student exchange

    SoleMOVE and SoleGRANT

    • Every student going for international exchange has to make an online application to SoleMOVE before going abroad. More information: www.laplanduas.fi > students > going abroad > preparing mobility period > SoleMOVE
    • Grants for exchange must be applied in SoleGRANT-system after your SoleMOVE exchange application is approved, you have confirmed your exchange place in SoleMOVE and you have received an acceptance letter from the host university or signed learning agreement for traineeships form from the training place.

    Lapland UAS email

    • Student must use only Lapland UAS email during the exchange. Remember to renew your password and empty your email regularly!

    Financing the Exchange

    • Before going abroad remember to take care of the needed financing for the exchange period. Lapland UAS grants do not cover all the expenses of the exchange, thus you must be prepared to use your own savings. Please notice that there might be extra fees for example visas, registrations, deposit etc.

    Passport, Visa and Residence Permit

    • Check that your passport is valid during the exchange period. Also check if you need a visa or a residence permit for your exchange country. Please notice that some exchange universities may require the copy of the valid passport attached to the exchange application. You can have for more information about visa and residence permit from the exchange country’s embassy. Be prepared to apply for the residence permit in good time in advance.


    Right of Residence and Work Permit

    • Nordic Countries: Finnish citizens do not need a residence permit for staying in the Nordic Countries. If you are international student, please check the requirements for your nationality.
    • In the EU countries the students must register their right to reside if staying in the country more than 3 months. Students can do the registration at the local police or the immigration service of the exchange country.
    • For the registration you need among others a passport, attendance certificate (letter of acceptance) from your host university, certificate of finance for your exchange study period (for example the documents of the grants, KELA study grants, and money that you have with you/ you can use), passport photos and local money. Check all needed documents from the authorizing body in question.
    • If you are international student, you most likely need a residence permit to the host country. Please check the requirements for you nationality.
    • In some exchange destinations (political situation or other reason) it is recommended to register to local Finnish authorities (embassy), especially if staying in the country for a long time.
    • In EU region labour force can move freely without work permit. Registration of right of residence (EU citizens) is obligatory if you stay in the country more than 3 months. For other countries, please check the country-specific work permit procedures.

    Study Grant Application (KELA)

    • For more information and forms from Lapland UAS Financial Aid Committee and the Lapland UAS web pages and also from www.kela.fi.

    Social Security: The European Health Insurance Card (EU Citizens)

    • EU citizens have the same benefits and duties to social security as the citizens of that country. Apply from KELA the European Health Insurance Card which certifies that you are entitled to the Social Services of the EU. The card is very useful for example if you need hospital treatment.

    Travel Insurance

    • Each international student doing degree programme and going abroad is obliged to acquire themselves a sufficient insurance that covers for example illness, accidents, repatriation and if needed, liability issues. Ask for more information from insurance companies.
    • During the unpaid training students are insured with Lapland UAS insurance that covers accidents and occupational diseases in working hours as well as liability issues (USA and Canada excluded). Print a copy of certificate of the validity of liability insurance and insurance for accidents
    • When travelling, always remember that things can be replaced, but life cannot be.

    Travel tickets and travelling timetables

    • Compare prices of the different travelling possibilities to get the best use of the grants. Affordable student tickets are sold by many travel agencies such as Kilroy Travels and Area. They have offices in numerous countries, which makes changing the tickets easier. Remember to inform travel times to the exchange university / training place and your family.

    Student Identity Card

    • In Finland travel agencies (for example Kilroy Travels) sell International Student Identity Card (ISIC) which entitles to discounts in different countries. Most of the discounts are for travelling, but ISIC can also be used for bargaining about the student discounts when visiting museums etc.

    Letter of Acceptance, Proof of Means of Support, Passport photos

    • Take letter of acceptance, proof of means of support (for example in Finland foreigners are required to have at least 560 € per month); students can use for example a document of the grant, KELA study grant or other assets (bank statement). Take copies of the documents and passport and keep them in a different place than the originals.
    • Take adequate amount of passport photos with you, at least 5-10 photos.


    • Remember to take care of the housing-related matters, such as rent, electricity contract, notice of removal, postal services etc. Find yourself an apartment from the exchange destination in good time in advance and keep all the apartment-related documents and agreements (tenancy agreement with tenancy period and price) in safe.

    Addresses and Contact Information

    • Make all needed change of addresses for the period of absence: Post, Registry office, study affairs office. Take with you all important contact information in Finland, Lapland UAS (teacher tutor, international coordinator, International Office) as well as in exchange destination (for example Finnish Embassy) and leave a copy to your family / trusted person.
    • For the exchange, take with you a list of needed addresses and directions. Pack the list to your hand luggage so that you can take it out easily.

    Financial Matters

    • Find out the most practical way of taking care of your finances in the destination: to open a bank account or to withdraw money from automatic cash dispenser from the Finnish bank account, how to transfer money to the destination etc. Give instructions to your family / trusted person! Make an authorization for your banking matters in Finland. The authorization should include also other things, such as insurance and study grant matters. The authorization document must be signed by two witnesses.
    • Find out the most convenient way of taking money with you: cash travel cheque, credit cards, VisaElectron etc.

    Health Care

    • Take care of the needed vaccinations and visit the dentist before going abroad. Remember to have your pharmaceuticals with you for the whole exchange period. Take also plasters, basic painkillers, basic lotion etc.
    • There are specific instructions for Health Care students about the needed vaccinations and medical examinations before and after the exchange: More information from the international coordinator! Lapland UAS does not cover the expenses of the possible vaccinations. Students pay the costs of the vaccinations themselves.

    Information about Finland, Lapland UAS and the destination

    • Be prepared to answer the most extraordinary questions about Finland and Lapland UAS. Addresses to sources of Finland-information, please see the links below. If interested in books, Facts about Finland is very useful.
    • Familiarize yourself with Lapland UAS brochures and web pages in English so that you know the Lapland UAS terminology. You can also pick up a Lapland UAS information package from your international coordinator of the International Office before going abroad.
    • Take with you also Rovaniemi/Kemi/Tornio information and pictures, for example post cards.
      In advance familiarize yourself with the exchange country and culture as well as you can. You can have more information from books and the Internet.


    • Be prepared for situations when presents are needed (such as invitation to a party) by taking with you something small, like key chains etc. It is nice to take something that is originated from your own country.

    Our website uses cookies, read more. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. [I Agree]