Preparing for mobility period
All students of Lapland University of Applied Sciences (Lapland UAS) have a possibility to gain international experience abroad in both study and placement/training period. All students should prepare the mobility period carefully and well in advance because the exchange process contains many arrangements. Students plan their international exchange at the beginning of their studies and carry out the exchange on the second or third year of their studies.
Study or placement period abroad has to be properly planned and based on the learning agreement. Well planned and mutually agreed learning agreement assures that the study or placement period will be approved to student’s degree. All changes to studies during the mobility period have to been added to learning agreement changes form. The mobility period is recognized in students' final record also.
Students can have financial support for their mobility period in the form of different grants. Each student planning exchange must be prepared to finance some part of the mobility period themselves as well. This is also one reason to start prepare the exchange in well advance. For more information on study and placement period, please read the headings on the left side of this page.
Are you interested in going abroad for exchange?
1. Start planning the exchange well in advance. Familiarize yourself with the Lapland UAS web pages on exchange studies.
2. Discuss with your teacher tutor on the most suitable timing for the possible exchange period and studies.
3. Visit the international coordinator of your campus to discuss on the possible exchange destinations for study or placement and ask about the required documents and forms. Fill out the First Form and return the form to the international coordinator.
4. STUDY EXCHANGE: After you have found a suitable exchange destination, fill out all the forms the host university requires and ECTS learning agreement.
PLACEMENT EXCHANGE: If you are going abroad for training, fill out the Learning agreement for traineeship. Return the forms to the international coordinator of your study field.
5. International Services will send your application to the host university.
6. If you are accepted as an exchange student to the host university, fill out your SoleMOVE application.
7. Please upload the acceptance letter/Learning agreement signed by all three parties (and Erasmus Grant Agreement) to the SoleGRANT programme and make your grant applications in SoleGRANT.
8. If you go abroad for training, make you grant
applications to SoleGRANT programme and upload the Learning agreement for traineeship signed by all three parties (and Erasmus Grant Agreement) to
9. The grants will be paid to your bank account before the beginning of your exchange if you have returned all the required documents to the international relations coordinator of your campus 1 month before the beginning of the exchange period.
10. After your exchange period, please return the forms required by the exchange programme to SoleMOVE
11. Start the credit transfer process.
For guidance, please see the contact information and contact the international services or the international coordinator of your study field.
LANGUAGE SKILLS AND CULTURAL KNOWLEDGE
Mobility period is an effective way to develop the language skills and cultural knowledge. Mobility period gives also a wider perspective to the studies and increase the international competence for the future career.
All students going abroad should have sufficient language proficiency to complete planned study and/or traineeship period. It is also good to remember that the mobility period can be an ideal option to develop and deepen the existing language skills.
In Lapland UAS all students have compulsory language courses as a part of their degree. In addition students can choose more language courses as elective studies. To get more information about the language skills for mobility period students can contact the international coordinator of their field of expertise or the international services. To get more information on language courses at Lapland UAS students can contact the language teachers or the teacher tutor.
Lapland UAS provides each semester an orientation for all students going abroad. This orientation includes information on mobility processes with practicalities, intercultural communication -lecture and international cafe. The idea of the international cafe is to bring together students going abroad, students who have been abroad and present international students to share information about countries, language and cultural knowledge and also give tips for student preparing the mobility period.
To have more information and tips for mobility period, language and cultural knowledge students can familiarise themselves with the feedback of students who have completed already mobility period. These feedbacks are in SoleMOVE. The feedbacks are for everyone to read and give tips for preparations, language and cultural issues and students experiences on exchanges.
For more information on study and traineeship period, please read the headings on the left side of this page. For guidance, please see the contact information and contact the international coordinator of your field of expertise or international services.