Home / English homepage - Lapland UAS / Students / Going abroad / Plan your Great Adventure



Would you like to complete part of your degree abroad?

Spend a memorable semester or a whole academic year abroad! You can learn new language, meet new people around the world and also enjoy cultural experiences. Longer study or training exchange period brings new perspectives and gives you more profound experience than shorter exchange periods. Do not restrain your thirst for adventure - here is your chance! You can ask more from International Services, see their contacts here.

Application periods, depending on the exchange program:

For autumn semester 01/01 - 01/04

For spring semester 01-15/10


  • 3-12 months long study exchange periods
  • 2-6 months long training periods on abroad

Experience level: 5

Suitable for those who wants...

  • Adventure
  • To see different cultures
  • Experiences
Studying abroad

Lapland UAS students have the possibility of completing part of their studies abroad in one of the Lapland UAS' partner universities. Some of the Lapland UAS' partner universities and exchange programs are field-specific, thus they are only for students of certain study field. Lapland UAS has an agreement with the partner universities that defined the number of exchange students for each semester. International students of Lapland UAS are able to apply to go abroad on study exchange in the Erasmus program. Lapland UAS admits grants also for freemover exchange (study exchanges that are completed at universities that are not Lapland UAS partner universities). Precondition for Lapland UAS travel grant for freemover exchange is that student has a Finnish citizenship or permanent residence permit and a permission for the exchange from study counsellor.

You should start preparing for the exchange in good time in advance. For student it is important to know that the exchange grant does not cover all the expenses of the exchange. Students must be prepared to finance themselves their exchange period.

Exchange studies have to be well planned with the study counsellor. For receiving the grant the duration of the study period must be at least 3 months (90 days) and accumulate 5 ECTS / month. The higher university of applied sciences degree students can receive a grant for a shorter exchange. For more information and guidance on exchange is provided by International Services.

Lapland UAS provides each semester an orientation for all students going abroad. This orientation includes information on mobility processes and practicalities. To have more information and tips for mobility period Students can familiarize themselves with the feedback of students who have completed already mobility period. These feedbacks are in SoleMOVE and they are for everyone to read.

Find the partner universities from the SoleMOVE system
Erasmus Charter for Higher Education 2021-2027 - Lapland University of Applied Sciences

Exchange Programs:

  • Erasmus + Study Exchange is in Europe in the partner universities of Lapland UAS. Application perioid for autumn semester is 15.2-1.4 and for spring semester before 15.10. Possibility to apply Lapland UAS travel grant and Erasmus grant. Please notice that you can search the current and updated Erasmus partners in SoleMOVE. 
  • Magellan Study Exchange is in USA, South Korea and Costa Rica, in the partner universities of Lapland UAS. Application period for autumn semester is 1.2 - 1.3 and for spring semester before 8.10. Possibility to apply Lapland UAS study and travel grant.

  • North2North (N2N) Study Exchange is in Lapland UAS' partner universities in Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Canada, USA and Russia. Application period for autumn and spring semester is 1.1 -15.2. Possibility to apply Lapland UAS study and travel grant.
  • Bilateral Study Exchange is in Australia, Japan, China, India, Mexico, Argentina and Republic of Korea. Exchange destination university has a bilateral agreement with Lapland UAS or other university coordinating the exchange. Application deadline for autumn semester is mainly in April and for spring semester mainly in October. Possibility to apply Lapland UAS travel and study grant.
  • Freemover Study Exchange is supported with Lapland UAS grants for students with a permanent residence permit or Finnish citizenship. For Freemover exchange student must ask for the approval of the study counsellor and to be prepared for paying the tuitions. Students must find out himself/herself the offered courses and correspondence of the studies. Student must be prepared to take care of the exchange himself/herself.
Double Degree Programmes

International Business student!

International Business (IB) -program has two different Double Degree programmes, where students can apply to. Double Degree Programme gives a degree from Lapland UAS and also from the partner university.

In University of Turiba, which is located in Latvia, students study their third year. During one year in University of Turiba, students will have a possibility to study variety of business related courses, such as Psychological Aspects of Business, Personnel Management, Consumers Behaviour in Market and in addition to do a practical training in the company to gain real life practice experience all together worth 60 ECTS. After the study abroad year student returns to Lapland UAS and studies one semester which includes courses and thesis. Students can apply Erasmus+ grant and Lapland UAS travel grant for the mobility period. Check the grant chart here. University of Turiba and Lapland UAS' International Services will help with the accommodation and other practical matters.

More information:
Tarja Tammia
+358 40 721 3994

Lapland UAS has a new Double Degree Programme agreement with Aachen University of Applied Sciences, which is located in Germany. Approved students study their third year in Aachen UAS. During one year in Aachen UAS students will have a wide choice of specialization studies all together 60 ECTS. Depending on your own interests you will have a possibility to specialize in Marketing, Project Management, International Financing or choose any other options from a very wide list of global business related courses. In addition students will learn about the German Business and markets as the studies are closely linked with the industry. Students can apply Erasmus+ grant and Lapland UAS travel grant for the mobility period. Check the grant chart here. Aachen UAS' and Lapland UAS' International Services will help with the accommodation and other practical matters.

More information:
Tarja Tammia
+358 40 721 3994

Mechanical Engineering student!

Lapland UAS' and Fachhochschule Technikum Wien engineering students have a possibility to Double Degree Programme. Five students from both universities can apply to study one year (third year) in a partner university. Students will study in total 60 ECTS. Students can apply Erasmus+ grant and Lapland UAS travel grant for the mobility period.


Fachhochschule Technikum Wien

Training abroad

As Lapland UAS student you have the opportunity to carry out your practical training period abroad. There is not a specific application period and you can carry out the training when most suitable for your studies. Lapland UAS' students find a practical training place themselves. You can look for practical training placements for example through the Internet. You can find good hints from students' feedbacks, which you can find from the SoleMOVE system. Your degree programme might have training places through different partner universities and you can have more information from your teachers and study counsellor. Students from Social Services and Health Care faculty can apply placement also through Erasmus partners. If a student applies the training through an Erasmus+ partner you must follow the application deadlines; for autumn semester 1.4 and for spring semester 15.10. You can also check available training places from Erasmus Intern-Traineeship database.

Most important is to plan your exchange in good time in advance. The grant for exchange does not cover all the expenses of the exchange, therefore student must prepare to finance their exchange period themselves. For receiving the grant the duration of the training period must be at least 2 months (60 days) and accumulate 5 ECTS / month. The content of the training must be planned carefully with the teacher in charge of the training so that it corresponds to the objectives set for the training. The International Services provide more guidance and help for the exchange.

Training Destinations

Training grants, instructions and forms can vary depending on whether your training is carried out in Europe or outside Europe.

For training in Europe you can apply for Lapland UAS travel grant and Erasmus grant for Training.

For training in outside Europe you can apply for Lapland UAS travel grant and training grant. Please notice that you cannot receive the grant for training in your home country.

Erasmus Training Exchange Instructions
Training Exchange Outside Europe
Health Africa
Erasmus Charter for Higher Education 2021-2027 - Lapland University of Applied Sciences
Drop'pin@Eures-Traineeship Database

Grants for student exchange

Lapland UAS students have the possibility to apply grants for their exchange. Students can apply for Lapland UAS' travel grant and/or programme-specific grant. The grants are applied in SoleGRANT -programme. For making the grant application, you need to have the Acceptance Letter from the host university/approved Learning Agreement form. Information and terms mentioned in this page are valid in both travel and programme-specific grants.

For receiving the grants the duration of the study exchange period must be 3 months minimum and accumulate 5 ECTS / month and the duration of the practical training exchange must be 2 months minimum and accumulate 5 ECTS / month. The grant does not cover all the expenses of the exchange, so be prepared to use your own assets. Remember to prepare the exchange carefully and well in advance!

Grant applications must be filled electrically and with care so that all sections are filled properly. You need to have a Finnish bank-account number and it must be in IBAN-form. You also need to have the Finnish social security number.

The grant must be applied at least four (4) weeks prior to the beginning of the exchange. The grant is paid in 14 days from the delivery of all necessary documents which are correctly filled. Deliver all required documents in time, because grants will not be granted afterwards.

Erasmus study exchange (= studying in Europe in a Lapland UAS' partner university) and Erasmus training exchange (=training in Europe) is supported with Erasmus grants and Lapland UAS' travel grant.

Training outside Europe: Students can find their training places by themselves outside Europe. This kind of training abroad is for all students (despite of residence permit status or citizenship) and supported with travel grant and training grant. The training grant will not be paid for exchange in student's home country outside Europe.

Application forms are found Forms -interleaf.

If you receive the grant you are committed to:

1. use the grant only to cover the expenses of travelling, living, lodging and language training during your period of study or training abroad.
2. adhere the compiled study plan while abroad (= Learning agreement).
3. familiarize yourself with the international exchange guidelines before travelling abroad.
4. take care of all needed permits, insurances and vaccinations yourself.
5. perform as Lapland UAS' representative and present your institution during your study or training exchange.
6. deliver all needed forms and reports from the exchange as instructed and in time, you allow your study/training report to be published also in Lapland UAS' web pages
7. pay back all or part of your grant if you interrupt or terminate your studies abroad or if you do not deliver all required documents to the International Services on time.

Lapland UAS is obliged to inform the tax authorities in Finland all the students who have received exchange grants in total 1000,00€ or more during one year. Students must inform the grants they have received in the tax return.

Grant Chart

 Exchange programme  Application period Studying/Training  gRANts  grant amount €
Erasmus  spring, autumn study and training

Erasmus ***


420-470/month ** (study)

570-620/month** (training)


Bilateral  spring, autumn  study and training







Freemover ongoing, apply the grant 1 month in advance  study and training





* Training outside Europe, not to student's home country. For training in student's home country the travel grant is 450€.

** Group 2 countries 2020-2021 grants for study exchange 420€/month, for training 570€/month:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia

** Group 1 countries 2020-2021 grants for study exchange 470€/month, for training 620€/month:

Denmark, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom

*** Additional grant for students with under-aged children going for study exchange 200€/month:

Precondition for the grant is that student is the guardian of under-aged children living in the same household. For training exchange additional grant for students with under-aged children is possible only when student is not receiving top-up (50€) for traineeship. For more information, please contact the International Services.

For Erasmus+ training in summer 2020 the grants are based on the 2019-2020 Erasmus+ grants. That is why the amount of the grant can be different than on the 2020-2021 Erasmus+ period.


Lapland UAS' Travel Grant

International degree programme students who do not have a Finnish citizenship or do not have a permanent residency have the possibility to receive the grant twice for study exchange and/or practical training exchange. Study exchange must take place in our European partner university.

If you go for another exchange directly from your first exchange you are entitled to apply the travel grant if the following exchange is in another country. If you travel back home between the exchanges you are entitled to apply the travel grant even if the second exchange is in the same country as your first one.

The amount of Lapland UAS travel grant in 2020 is:

450€ (Nordic Countries, Europe, Russia (near-by areas), student's home country)

1000€ (America, Asia, other continents)


Accessibility grant for a student exchange

A student can apply for an additional financial support in many student exchange programmes offered by the Finnish National Agency for Education (EDUFI), e.g. Erasmus+, N2N and FIRST+, if a student has an injury, illness or a learning difficulty and needs special arrangements which cause extra costs that cannot be covered by any other sources. Please contact the International Services for more information.


You are able to open the forms by clicking the name of the form. If userid is requested, please write your own Lapland UAS userid and password. Please remember to save the form to your computer or memory stick before filling the form.

Grants for exchange are applied in SoleGRANT.

European language levels self assessment

European language levels - self assessment grid
Certificate of Language Proficiency

Erasmus Study Exchange

Erasmus+ Learning Agreement 2020-2021
Erasmus+ Grant Agreement for Students and Trainees (attach the form to SoleGRANT application)
Changes to the Original Learning Agreement
Recognition Outcomes - The Receiving Institution (Letter of Confirmation)
Erasmus Student Charter
Announcement concerning the number of children

Erasmus Training Exchange

Erasmus+ Learning Agreement for Traineeships 2020-2021
Erasmus+ Grant Agreement for Students and Trainees (attach the form to SoleGRANT application)
Changes to Training Mobility
Traineeship Certificate
Erasmus Student Charter
Announcement concerning the number of children

Placement exchange non-EU

Learning Agreement for Traineeship - non-EU
Traineeship Certificate
Changes to the Original Learning Agreement for Traineeship - non-EU

Bilateral Study Exchange

Shanghai Application Program
Learning Agreement - non-EU
Changes to the Original Learning Agreement - non-EU
Recognition Outcomes - The Receiving Institution (Letter of Confirmation)

SoleMOVE and SoleGRANT -systems

The SoleMOVE system has been designed to support the processes of the international exchange. Every student going abroad must fill in the SoleMOVE application. To log in to the SoleMOVE student uses the same username and password when logging in to school computers.

The SoleMOVE application must be filled in and submitted as soon as a student has received an acceptance confirmation and a signed learning agreement from the host university/organization. Student must fill in the application also to get grants.

The SoleMOVE system is designed also for returning necessary forms after the exchange period. For more information about the system and how to fill in the application, please see the links below or ask help from the International Services.

SoleMOVE - Programme
SoleMOVE - Instructions for searching Exchange Destinations and Feedback
SoleMOVE - Instructions for Outgoing Student Exchange
SoleMOVE - Instructions for Outgoing Placement/Training
SoleGRANT - Instructions for grant application for studying and training abroad

Data protection is a concern that is taken into account in all of the Lapland UAS's work. More information about the processing personal data you can find from the privacy notice of SoleMOVE and SoleGRANT. Lapland UAS' data protection web pages you can find from here.

ECTS and Diploma Supplement

Lapland UAS uses The European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) and all credits from the Mobility period will be transferred according to ECTS. ECTS is a tool which enables students to collect credits for earning achieved through higher education. ECTS is a learner-centered system which aims to increase transparency of learning outcomes and learning processes. It aims to facilitate planning, delivery, evaluation, recognition and validation of qualifications and inits of learning in order to achieve expected learning outcomes.

Learning outcomes describe what a learner is expected to know, understand and able to do after successful completion of a process of learning. They relate to level descriptors in national and European qualifications frameworks. Workload indicates the time Student typically need to complete all learning activities required to achieve the expected learning outcomes. 60 ECTS credits are attached to the workload of a full-time year of formal learning (academic year) and the associated learning outcomes. At Lapland UAS Student workload is 1600 hours for an academic year, whereby one credit corresponds to 27 hours of work. The workloads of all the courses are measured and displayed in ECTS credits.

Lapland UAS provides a dipploma supplement as an appendix to the original degree certificate. The dipploma supplement is being issued in a widely spoken European language, given automatically and free of charge to every Student upon graduation. It is issued in all bachelor degree and master's degree programs.

For more information, please see ECTS and Dipploma Supplement

Checklist for student exchange

SoleMOVE and SoleGRANT

Every student going for international exchange has to make an online application to SoleMOVE before going abroad.

Grants for exchange must be applied in SoleGRANT after your SoleMOVE exchange application is approved, you have confirmed your exchange pace in SoleMOVE and you have received an acceptance letter from the host university or signed learning agreement for traineeships form from the training place.

Lapland UAS email

Student must use only Lapland UAS email during the exchange. Remember to renew your password and empty your email regularly.

Financing the Exchange

Before going abroad remember to take care of the needed financing for the exchange period. Lapland UAS grants do not cover all the expenses of the exchange, thus you must be prepared to use your own savings. Please notice that there might be extra fees for example visas, registrations, deposit etc.

Passport, Visa and Residence Permit

Check that your passport is valid during the exchange period. Also check if you need a Visa or a Residence Permit for your exchange country. Please notice that some exchange universities may require the copy of the valid passport attached to the exchange application. You can have for more information about Visa and Residence Permit from the exchange country's embassy. Be prepared to apply for the Residence Permit in good time in advance.

Right of Residence and Work Permit

Nordic Countries: Finnish citizens do not need a Residence Permit for staying in the Nordic Countries. If you are International student, please check the requirements for your nationality

In the EU countries the students must register their right to reside if staying in the country more than 3 months. Students can do the registration at the local police or the immigration service of the exchange country,

For the registration you need among others a passport, attendance certificate (letter of acceptance) from your host university, certificate of finance for your exchange study period (fro example the documents of the grants, KELA study grants, and money that you have with you/you can use), passport photos and local money. Check all needed documents from the authorizing body in question.

If you are International student, you most likely need a Residence Permit to the host country. Please check the requirements for your nationality.

In some exchange destinations (political situation or other reason) it is recommended to register to local Finnish authorities (embassy), especially if staying in the country for a long time.

In EU region labour force can move freely without work permit. Registration of right of residence (EU citizens) is obligatory if you stay in the country more than 3 months. For other countries, please check the country-specific work permit procedures.

Study Grant Application (KELA)

For more information and forms from Lapland UAS Financial Aid Committee and the Lapland UAS web pages and also from KELA's pages.

Social Security: The European Health Insurance Card (EU Citizens)

EU citizens have the same benefits and duties to social security as the citizens of that country. Apply from KELA the European Health Insurance Card which certifies that you are entitled to the Social Services of the EU: The card is very useful for example if you need hospital treatment.

Travel Insurance

Each International student doing degree programme and going abroad is obliged to acquire themselves a sufficient insurance that covers for example illness, accidents, repatriation and if needed, liability issues. Ask for more information from insurance companies.

During the unpaid training students are insured with Lapland UAS insurance that covers accidents and occupational diseases in working hours as well as liability issues (USA and Canada excluded). Print copy of certificate of the validity of liability insurance and insurance for accidents.

When travelling, always remember that things can be replaced, but life cannot be.

Travelling tickets and travelling timetables

Compare prices of the different travelling possibilities to get the best use of the grants. Affordable student tickets are sold by many travel agencies such as Kilroy Travels and Are. They have offices in numerous countries, which makes changing the tickets easier. Remember to inform travel times to the exchange university / training place and your family.

Student Identity Card

In Finland travel agencies (for example Kilroy Travels) sell International Student Identity Card (ISIC) which entitles to discount in different countries. Most of the discount are for travelling, but ISIC can also be used for bargaining about the student discounts when visiting museums etc.

Letter of Acceptance, Proof of Means of Support, Passport photos

Take Letter of Acceptance, Proof of Means of Support (for example in Finland foreigners are required to have at least 560€ per month); students can use for example a document of the grant, KELA study grant or other assets (bank statement). Take copies of the documents and passport and keep them in a different place than the originals.

Take adequate amount of passport photos with you, at least 5-10 photos.


Remember to take care of the housing-related matters, such as rent, electricity contract, notice of removal, postal services etc. Find yourself an apartment from the exchange destination in good time in advance and keep all the apartment-related documents and agreements (tenancy agreement with tenancy period and price) in safe.

Addresses and Contact Information

Make all needed change of addresses for the period of absence: Post, Registry Office, Study Affairs Office. Take with you all important contact information in Finland, Lapland UAS (teacher tutor, international coordinator, International Office) as well as in exchange destination (for example Finnish Embassy) and leave a copy to your family / trusted person.

For the exchange, take with you a list of needed addresses and directions. Pack the list to your hand luggage so that you can take it out easily.

Financial Matters

Find out the most practical way of taking care of your finances in the destination: to open a bank account or to withdraw money from automatic cash dispenser from the Finnish bank account, how to transfer money to the destination etc. Give instructions to your family / trusted person. Make an authorization for your banking matters in Finland. The authorization should include also other things, such as insurance and study grant matters. The authorization document must be signed by two witnesses.

Find out the most convenient way of taking money with you: cash travel cheque, credit cards, VisaElectron etc.

Health Care

Take care of the needed vaccinations and visit the dentist before going abroad. Remember to have your pharmaceuticals with you for the whole exchange period. Take also plasters, basic painkillers, basic lotion etc.

There are specific instructions for Health Care students about the needed vaccinations and medical examinations before and after the exchange: more information from the International Services. Lapland UAS does not cover the expenses of the possible vaccinations. Students pay the costs of the vaccinations themselves.

Information about Finland, Lapland UAS and the destination

Be prepared to answer the most extraordinary questions about Finland and Lapland UAS. Addresses to sources of Finland-information. If interested in books, Facts about Finland is very useful.

Familiarize yourself with Lapland UAS brochures and web pages in English so that you know the Lapland UAS terminology. You can also pick up a Lapland UAS information package from your International Office before going abroad. Ask more!

Take with you also Rovaniemi/Kemi/Tornio information and pictures, for example post cards. In advance familiarize yourself with the exchange country and culture as well as you can. You can have more information from books and the Internet.


Be prepared for situations when presents are needed (such as invitation to a party) by taking with you something small, like key chains etc. It is nice to take something that is originated from your own country.

Cancellation or termination of the exchange

Exchange preparations require a lot of work from Lapland UAS as well as the partner / host institution (training destination). The exchange can be cancelled only with cogent reasons. If you consider discontinuing the exchange, you should immediately contact the International Services.

If you are thinking of ending your exchange earlier than planned, you must immediately contact the International Services. International Services will discuss with the head of the manager of the expertise group about the termination of the exchange and early return. Paid grants are mainly month-specific which means that termination or early return leads to paying back all or some part of the grants.

If you experience during your exchange any situations that make your staying difficult, contact immediately the coordinator or instructor of your exchange destination and the International Services in Lapland UAS. Lapland UAS wants to take care of the students during the international exchange and the sooner you contact, the better we are able to help you.