Home / English homepage - Lapland UAS / Applicants / Exchange Students

Practical information

There are many practicalities that students should take care of before study exchange or a traineeship abroad.

In the following pages and in the Practical Information Guide you find important information on these practicalities; what you need to do before leaving home country and after coming to Finland and starting your studies at Lapland UAS. 

Accommodation in Lapland
Please notice that it is very important to apply an accommodation on time and have it ready before arriving to Rovaniemi, Kemi or Tornio. Beginning of each semester is a busy time and student housing will be filled up quickly.


Accommodation in Rovaniemi

As an incoming international exchange student you have two main accommodation possibilities:

  • Domus Arctica -säätiö DAS.
    Application deadline for applying is always around the end of June (for autumn semester) or around the end of November (for spring semester).
  • Housing companies. More information available here.


Domus Arctica -säätiö (DAS)

Exchange students have an opportunity to apply for accommodation from Domus Arctica -säätiö (DAS). For example, DAS Lauri and DAS Eero (in Opintie) are located at Rantavitikka, 140 metres from Lapland UAS Rovaniemi campus.

Apartments are furnished and monthly costs varies according to the type of the accommodation. DAS offers two different types of accommodation options for exchange students:
- a room in a shared apartment
- a shared room in a shared apartment 

Please check DAS websites for more information about the accommodation types, costs and application process.

Housing companies and private sector

You can also look for an apartment from Rovaniemi through the housing companies and private sector. These apartments are usually unfurnished. The rent depends on the area and the condition of the apartment. More information about renting an apartment in Rovaniemi can be found here.


Accommodation in Kemi and Tornio

Exchange students are accommodated either in Kemi or Tornio depending on their study program or the location of the practical training placement. When applying please indicate what kind of accommodation you prefer, we try to fulfill your expectations. If you want to move in to the flat together with another person, please name the person in question.

Lapland University of Applied Sciences does not have dormitories. The apartments are rented by housing companies, private sector or you can rent an apartment from a Lapland UAS student who is on exchange.

Exchange students apply the accommodation in Kemi or Tornio by filling in the application for accommodation in Kemi-Tornio. You need to attach the application to your SoleMOVE application.  

Accommodation is located within a 3 km radius of the Lapland UAS education units. Students live mainly in two or three bedroom apartments. The bedroom can be shared with other student. You will share a kitchen and a bathroom/shower with one or two other students. The apartments are furnished. The rent depends on what kind of accommodation you have. Internet is not included in all of the rental apartments. International services provides internet connection for exchange students. The rent includes water, heating and electricity. After arriving you need to make a rental agreement with the house lord as soon as possible. 

If you have any questions concerning the accommodation issues for exchange students please contact incoming@lapinamk.fi  

Remember to confirm your arrival time to Kemi to the accommodation officer two weeks before your arrival as well as in to SoleMOVE.

Visa, permits and insurance

Finland has quite strict rules concerning immigration. Rules and regulations may differ depending on if you are a non-EU citizen, European Union citizen or citizen of the Nordic countries. It is very important that you familiarize yourself with all necessary information beforehand and apply necessary permits on time!

For more detailed and updated information, please check the links for Finnish Immigration Service’s web page and also the Finnish Immigration Service Notice to Exchange Students. Visas and residence permits are handled by Immigration Service and national embassies. We always recommend reading the latest instructions and guidelines from their web pages.

Citizen of the nordic countries

As a citizen of one of the Nordic countries you do not need a visa or a residence permit to study in Finland. If you stay in Finland for longer than 360 days, you are required to register personally at the local Register Office (maistraatti).

EU/EAA citizens

As a citizen of one of the EU/EEA countries you do not need a visa entering Finland. You are allowed to study at Finnish educational institutions for three (3) months without visa or residence permit. If your studies/ practical training last longer than three (3) months you must register your right to reside in Finland. The registration takes place at the nearest Finnish Immigration Service's point (in Rovaniemi or Oulu) and it costs about 54 €. To do the registration you need to have with you:

• Application form (submit online)
• Passport (recommended) or internationally recognized official identity card
• European Health Insurance card
• Letter of Acceptance or study certificate from Lapland UAS
• You must be able to show that your upkeep is secured during your stay in Finland. (e.g bank statement, grant certificate)

Non-EU citizens

You are allowed to study at Finnish educational institutions for three (3) months without applying for a residence permit. You can then complete your studies within the period of validity of your visa or while an agreement on the abolition of the visa is in force. If your studies last longer than three (3) months, you need to apply for a residence permit from the Finnish embassy or mission that represents Finland in your home country before your departure. For further information visit the website of the Ministry for foreign Affairs in Finland: Entering Finland and travelling - Ministry for Foreign Affairs (um.fi).

You have to prove that you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses in Finland, that is, a minimum of 560 €/ month. After the first year you must apply for the continuation of your residence permit for each academic year at the nearest immigration service point (in Rovaniemi or Oulu). When applying for a residence permit you must attach to your application details of your comprehensive health insurance cover with a reliable company or institution and when extending your residence permit, also certifications of your success in studies. For further information visit the website of the Finnish Immigration Service: www. migri.fi (> in English > EnterFinland > Extended and permanent residence permits).

Family members

A person who wishes to come to Finland and live in the same household with a family member residing here must have a residence permit. The permit can be granted on the basis of family ties. If you want your family members to move to Finland to live with you they will need their own residence permit. The demands for the residence permit will be the same as any other applicant. For example the applicant needs to prove that he/ she has the needed financial support to live in Finland. The family member who already is in Finland is so called sponsor. Who are considered as family members is quite narrow compared to other countries. By the Finnish law the family members are:

•Registered partner
•Cohabiting partner
•Guardian of a child under 18 years of age



International exchange students are insured by Lapland UAS during their studies (excluding practical training) but the insurance does not cover free time nor medical costs. Therefore, the incoming students must remember to take care of all the insurances and make sure that they are fully covered while staying in Finland.

Students that are coming to practical training in the field of nursing and health care are also required to take care of the adequate vaccinations before coming to practical training.

When applying for a residence permit the student must have insurance cover as without it a residence permit cannot be granted. For more detailed and updated information, please check the Finnish Immigration Service’s web page.

•For non-EU citizens it is compulsory to have an insurance to acquire a residence permit.

•For EU citizens it is important to acquire at least European Health Insurance Card to get necessary medical treatment in Finland.

NB: Please notice that Finnish higher education institutions have negotiated insurance packages for international students with MARSH/SIP, which is one alternative to acquire a health insurance. MARSH/SIP insurance packages are primarily available for non-EU/EEA students but they may also be purchased by EU students, if they wish to obtain private health insurance that covers their stay in Finland, which is highly recommendable. For more information on MARSH/SIP insurance, please check the link to their web page on the right side.


Student tutors, Friend programme and other activities

Student tutors

Student tutors help all incoming international exchange students to adjust to the local life in Rovaniemi, Kemi and Tornio and to familiarize themselves with surroundings and study facilities after their arrival. When you arrive your own student tutor will be there to meet you. Your tutor will show you your apartment, familiarise you with the neighbourhood, guide you to the nearest grocery store and show you the way to campus.

Student tutors also organize different kind of activities during the study semesters to help new students to integrate to a student life on the institution and a local community as well as learn about Finnish culture and way of life. Every now and then student tutors organize different kinds of trips and events where you are all welcome.

Talvi_laskettelijat nautiskelee_LapinMateriaalipankki.jpgLapin Materiaalipankki


Lapland University of Applied Sciences organizes different kind of activities for its students. Lapland UAS has active student union ROTKO which organizes all kind of events, support the students’ right and make sure that the students’ voice is heard in the institution and surrounding society. Lapland UAS offers also various kinds of sport activities for international students.


Activities in Rovaniemi

Rovaniemi is surrounded by beautiful nature and there are lots of things to do through the year. Since the nature is close to the city it is easy to go hiking, skiing, swimming, cycling, fishing etc. Also various gyms and sport centers offer lot of exciting sport activities.

Rovaniemi is also a city of culture and you can visit for example museums, exhibitions, theatres, cinema, library, concerts and familiarize yourself with different kind architecture. Also different kind of organizations and associations organizes different kind of events, infos, lectures, shows and theme days.

For more information on activities
City of Rovaniemi
ROTKO Student Union
LUC Sport
ESN Lapland


Activities in Kemi and Tornio

Kemi and Tornio are located on the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia, into which the region's three great rivers - the Simo, Kemi and Tornio Rivers - flow. That is why the Kemi and Tornio area sometimes called Sea Lapland. There are many kinds of opportunities to enjoy the surrounding nature: skating, ice fishing, skiing, hiking etc. Both cities have their own swimming pools. There are also gyms and sport centers in both cities.

Kemi and Tornio area also gives something to those interested in culture. There are museums, libraries and cinemas in both cities. There is also a city theatre in Kemi. Cultural events vary from blues and jazz festivals to traditional whitefish festival. 

For more information on activities
ROTKO Student Union
LUC Sport

City of Kemi
City of Tornio 

Syksy_Vaeltajat Inarin Otsamotunturilla_ KirsiUkkonen.jpg
Lapin materiaalipankki / Kirsi Ukkonen

Friend Programme

General Information

One of the things that make Finnish Lapland unique is its friendly people and diverse cultures. The local universities are committed to giving their international students first hand experiences of life in Lapland by pairing participating students with friends from the local area.

Lapland University of Applied Sciences and University of Lapland together organise the Friend Programme. The idea of the programme is to introduce Finland, Lapland and Finnish culture to international students. In doing so, the local friends also have the chance to learn about the home country of the student and about his/her language and culture. The Friend Programme not only offering students an opportunity to experience everyday local life and culture, but also helps them adapt to their new surroundings by connecting them with a welcoming friend.

There are a number of families, couples and people living alone in the Rovaniemi region who are interested in meeting international students in an informal way. They are often interested in making friends with a newcomer, inviting a student for a visit every now and then, or are just interested to share their free time with an international student.

Friends can be families with two parents, two children and a dog. Some families have only one parent. Some don’t have children. Your friend can even be just one person and that is typical in Finland as well. Friends are from all different ages. Some are already retired from working life, some are still studying, and some of the members of family are not natively Finnish. So be open‐minded.


How to apply?

The Friend Programme will be introduced during the orientation week in the beginning of each semester, in August and in January. The registration period for the spring semester 2024 is open on until 31 January 2024. Please find the registration form below and submit it online.

For more information, please see the Friend Programme - Student Guidebook below, or contact the programme coordinators:

Kaitlin Jupp

Adrien Fontenoud


Registration form for Friend Programme

Friend Programme - Student Guidebook
Travelling to the Finnish Lapland


The first thing you need to do is to find your way to Helsinki. Any travel agent or airline company should be able to get you a flight to Helsinki from just about anywhere.

The next step is to get from Helsinki to Rovaniemi, Kemi or Tornio. There are several ways to do this.


To Rovaniemi

Travelling by plane is the easiest way. From Helsinki there are two airline companies, Finnair and Norwegian that operate between Helsinki and Rovaniemi. The flight time is approximately an hour.

The second alternative is to travel by train. The trip takes about 10-13 hours. There is a direct bus/train service from Helsinki-Vantaa airport to the train station. The train schedule, price information and basic information about the Finnish railways are available on www.vr.fi.

The third way to travel to Rovaniemi is by long-distance bus. The bus trip lasts about 11-13 hours. You can find more information about bus schedules and prices on the page of Matkahuolto.

To Kemi and Tornio

The quickest and easiest way to reach Kemi and Tornio is to take a domestic flight from Helsinki-Vantaa to Kemi-Tornio airport. The flight will take about an hour. All scheduled flights are available at www.finnair.com.

From Helsinki railway station you can take a day or night train up north to Lapland. Travelling by train from Helsinki to Kemi takes 8-10 hours. Notice that it is easier to travel if you take a straight connection to Kemi without changing trains on your way. The train schedule, price information and basic information about the Finnish railways are available on www.vr.fi.

The third way to travel to to Kemi and Tornio is by long-distance bus. You can find more information about bus schedules and prices in Finland on the www.matkahuolto.fi. There are connections from Helsinki to Kemi and Tornio, from Stockholm to Haparanda-Tornio (www.tapanis.se), from Alta, Nordkapp and Tromso to Rovaniemi (www.eskelisen-lapinlinjat.com), from Murmansk to Rovaniemi (www.goldline.fi). From Rovaniemi you can take a bus or train to Kemi and Tornio.


Health Care Services for Exchange Students


Citizens of the EU/EEA countries, Switzerland, Australia and the province of Quebec in Canada can use public health care services in acute cases of illness and accidents that require medical attendance. The entitlement to public health care services needs to be proven (e.g. European Health Insurance Card EHIC). In any case, it is recommended to take a medical expenses insurance as it covers more extensive medical treatment than public health care.

Students from other countries must have a private health insurance and they can use private medical services. In a need of an urgent medical attention student can contact an accident and emergency department, i.e. at a hospital. The emergency care is not free of charge so the student needs to have a passport and the health insurance policy with him/her.





More general information about health care system in Finland


Lapland University of Applied Sciences does not offer insurance for its international degree programme students or exchange students. Incoming exchange students must have their own insurance. Make sure that you have an adequate insurance for your exchange period and that it is valid in Finland. Notice that the insurance has to cover your health care costs and accommodation. Exchange students who are doing practical training has a liability insurance and the mandatory accident insurance from the Lapland UAS.

For now, at this uncertain situation we are living in worldwide, we strongly recommend for you to get a private health and accident insurance with a comprehensive crisis cover. Please, make sure that your insurance covers your whole stay in Finland. 

European Health Insurance Card (Only for EU / EEA or Swiss citizens!!)

For EU / EEA / Swiss citizens it is mandatory to acquire European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to get necessary medical treatment through public health care in Finland. In this case, exchange students pay the same fees for the services as Finnish residents. The card has to be obtained before coming to Finland.


The   school   social   worker (kuraattori) encourages students in their studies and helps   them   cope   with   big   and   small   problems    in    life (stress, frustration, loneliness, homesickness or related     hardships) private discussions with the social worker are strictly confidential.  If you find   yourself   in   any   distressing   situation or need help with mental health issues, do not hesitate to contact the school social worker for assistance and support. 

 You may arrange an appointment with the school social worker by e-mail.


 Greetings from the Lapland UAS Social Worker:

You can get councelling and book a personal appointment by sending us an email to kuraattorit@luc.fi

State your name, telephone number and your field of study in the message.

We will contact you back soon as possible.

For more information visit https://blogi.eoppimispalvelut.fi/arjenituja/in-english-2/




Q&A (frequently asked questions)

How is the academic year in Lapland UAS?
The academic year is divided into two semesters: the autumn semester and the spring semester. Lectures are given from August to December in autumn and from January to May in spring

How is studying in Lapland UAS?
Studying at Lapland UAS includes contact studies at the school, online studies, practical training and independent studies.
Studying in Lapland UAS is practical and working life oriented. The learning process links together theoretical, practical and experienced based information and strengthens problem solving and decision-making skills. Projects focus in real working life problems.

How many credits do I have to complete during my exchange at the Lapland UAS?
The average working load for one semester is 30ECTS. In the end it depends on your home university how many ECTS credits you have to obtain per semester, since the sending institution is in charge of the approval of the courses. However, your learning agreement should include at least 20 ECTS credit points for one semester and at least 40 ECTS for the whole academic year. 

How is the grading system at Lapland UAS?
Study units are graded on a scale of:
• Excellent (5)
• Good (3–4)
• Satisfactory (1–2)
• Failed (0)

How can I get my Transcript of Records after the exchange?
I will be returning / have already returned home. How can I get my transcript of records?
Lapland UAS also provides official transcripts of records to all exchange students. After finishing their semester at Lapland UAS, exchange students can upload their transcript of records from Peppi study information system and deliver it to the coordinator of their home institution.

Do I get any peer support during my exchange studies?
The international student tutor (kv-tuutori) is usually the first person you meet when you arrive. He/she will help you to settle down and find your way around campus and around town. International student tutors are degree students of Lapland UAS who are interested in the culture, customs, traditions and ways of life of people in other countries. 

Where can I find information on the courses offered for exchange students and when will it be published? 
Course selection is updated for each semester in advance, usually a few months before the semester starts in here.

Can I mix courses from the offering of different degree programmes?
Can I take courses from any faculty / study programme? 

Exchange students can choose professional studies from one degree programme only. In addition, you can choose courses from the common exchange studies.

Can I complete a practical training in Lapland UAS?
Students are also able to do practical training exchanges in the Social Services, Nursing, Physiotherapy and Sports and leisure programs. The Engineering faculty offers trainings in their laboratories. All the practical training places needs to be agreed separately and cannot be guaranteed beforehand.

How are the degree programmes divided between each of the campuses?
Rovaniemi Campus
Information and Communication Technology (studies and training in laboratories)
International Business (studies, places are limited to 30)
Sports and Leisure Management (studies, training)
Tourism (studies)
Civil Engineering (training in laboratories)
Forestry (studies and practical training – training places are limited and will be checked individually)
Physiotherapy (practical training – training places are limited and will be checked individually)
 Kemi Campus
Social Services (studies and practical training)
Nursing (studies)
Mechanical Engineering (studies, projects)
  Tornio Campus
Information Processing, international study package
Fine Arts, international study package
International Business Management, Master’s degree (studies) (limited places available)
Can I get a student card to get student discounts?
Yes, you can order it through our student union ROTKO from their website. Is it mandatory to obtain the student card and join the student union? No, but there are some student discounts you can only get with the official student card. Fore example student discount on trains and long-distance busses.

Where can I find some information on the different campus towns?
Please see
Exchange Students - Lapland UAS (lapinamk.fi) for more information on the three different campus towns.
Also you can take a look each campus town in their own webpages:
Front page - Tornio
InEnglish - Rovaniemi international

How it is to live in the Finnish Lapland?
Real life in Lapland | Orientation for LUC studies (eoppimispalvelut.fi)
Lapland - Above Ordinary

How it the famous Finnish sauna culture?
Practically every Finnish house has a sauna of its own. There are public saunas in swimming halls with indoor swimming pools, water slides, water massage, Jacuzzi and so on. What do you do in a sauna? To learn more, visit the website of the Finnish Sauna Society www.sauna.fi 

Can I work during my exchange studies?
Finding a job alongside your studies can be really challenging in Finland. Often workers
are expected to speak at least the very basics of Finnish language. Lapland University of Applied Sciences does not offer jobs and is not obligated to find students any jobs. All students have responsibility for themselves to find a job.

As an EU/EEA citizen you have unrestricted right to work and study in Finland for less  than three (3) months.

As a non-EU citizen, you have right to work 25 hours a week during the academic term. 
When there is no teaching at the institution during holidays, it is possible to work full time. You will need to get a residence permit before arriving to Finland in order to work. Home | Maahanmuuttovirasto (migri.fi)

How can I get bicycle in my campus town?
With some good luck you may find and buy a decent bicycle for a reasonable price from a bicycle repair shop, recycling center(kierrätyskeskus), flea market (kirpputori) 
or your fellow student. When you park your bicycle always remember to lock it and preferably fasten it to a bicycle rack or some other solid structure to avoid anyone stealing your bike. You can buy bicycle locks from well stocked stores. Please remember to also purchase a light for your bike, because the Finnish law demands you to have one. Light helps other traffic users to see you better and makes it easier to drive your bike when it’s dark. It is also good to have a bicycle helmet.

Is there any way of learning Finnish language and culture during my exchange studies?
Yes, please check the common exchange studies at
Home | Study Guide, Lapin AMK (csc.fi)

Do I need a visa or residence permit?
EU/EEA citizens
As a citizen of one of the EU/EEA countries you do not need a visa entering Finland. If your studies/ practical training last longer than three (3) months you must register your right to reside in Finland AFTER ARRIVAL. 

Non-EU citizens studying in Europe
If you are a non-EU citizen and you have been granted a residence permit for studies by some other EU Member State than Finland and if you are covered by a programme or an agreement specified in the Finnish act on residence permits for students, you can come to Finland to carry out part of your studies for a period up to 360 days. You need to submit a mobility notification to the Finnish Immigration Services. For more information go to Home | Maahanmuuttovirasto (migri.fi)

Non-EU citizens
You are allowed to study at Finnish educational institutions for three (3) Confirm your exchange period and inform your arrival time in SoleMOVE. More information in 
the acceptance package. VISA AND RESIDENCE PERMIT months without applying for a residence permit. You can then complete your studies within the period of validity of your visa or while an agreement on the abolition of the visa is in force.If your studies last longer than three (3) months, you need to apply for a residence permit from the Finnish embassy or mission that represents Finland in your home country before your departure.For further information visit the website of the Ministry for foreign Affairs in Finland Frontpage - Ministry for Foreign Affairs (um.fi)

Citizen of the Nordic countries
As a citizen of one of the Nordic countries you do not need a visa or a residence permit to study in Finland. If you stay in Finland for longer than six (6) months, you are required to register personally at the local Digital and Population Data Services Agency.
Do I need to obtain a private health insurance before arrival?
The incoming students must have their own insurances. Make sure that you have adequate insurance for your exchange period and that it is valid in Finland. Notice that the insurance has to cover your health care costs and accommodation. The insurance must cover if any damage happens to your accommodation during your stay.
Do I need to pay tuition fee?
No, exchange students at Lapland UAS does not have to pay any tuition fees.
What if I have to go back home early? 
Let Lapland UAS international officers know as soon as you know when and why you are interrupting the exchange. Remember also inform your home university coordinator about the interruption. It is also polite to let the lecturers know you are dropping their course. You might have to return part of your grant if you leave in the middle of the semester. Check your rental contract, some companies do not let you dismiss it if you leave beforehand. Remember to get the signature to your departure certificate in person before you leave (during the pandemic you can get the signature by sending the form and a copy of your arrival& departure tickets by email). In the case of homesickness, you can always visit home for a long weekend and return to Finland.
I cannot participate in the Orientation. Where can I enroll? / Late arrival:
Please note that we strongly recommend arriving for the orientation week as it is seen as a mandatory part of your exchange. If you arrive late, please contact International Service staff incoming@lapinamk.fi. Notice also that the first days are crucial for getting know studying in Lapland UAS and meeting new friends and getting to know the city.

When will I receive my student number?
You will receive your student number during the orientation week.

When can I sign up for courses?
Lapland UAS international staff will sign up you for the courses as you have listed those in your Learning Agreement. You don’t need to sign up for the courses on your own.  You can also make course changes during your first weeks in Lapland UAS, just inform incoming@lapinamk.fi