Home / English homepage - Lapland UAS / Students / Practical information / Before coming to Lapland / Visa and residence permit

Visa and residence permit

Citizen of the nordic countries 

As a citizen of one of the Nordic countries you do not need a visa or a residence permit to study in Finland. If you stay in Finland for longer than six (6) months, you are required to register personally at the local Register Office (maistraatti).


EU/EAA citizens

As a citizen of one of the EU/EEA countries you do not need a visa entering Finland. You are allowed to study at Finnish educational institutions for three (3) months without visa or residence permit. If your studies/ practical training last longer than three (3) months you must register your right to reside in Finland. The registration takes place at the local police station and it costs about 50 Euros. To do the registration you need to have with you:

  • Passport (recommended) or internationally recognized official identity card
  • European Health Insurance card
  • Letter of Acceptance or study certificate from Lapland UAS
  • You must be able to show that your upkeep is secured during your stay in Finland. (e.g bank statement, grant certificate)


Non-EU citizens

You are allowed to study at Finnish educational institutions for three (3) months without applying for a residence permit. You can then complete your studies within the period of validity of your visa or while an agreement on the abolition of the visa is in force. If your studies last longer than three (3) months, you need to apply for a residence permit from the Finnish embassy or mission that represents Finland in your home country before your departure. For further information visit the website of the Ministry for foreign Affairs in Finland (> Services > foreign nationals arriving in Finland > Visa requirement and travel documents accepted by Finland).

You have to prove that you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses in Finland, that is, a minimum of 560 €/ month or 6 720 €/year. After the first year you must apply for the continuation of your residence permit for each academic year at the local police station. When applying for a residence permit you must attach to your application details of your comprehensive health insurance cover with a reliable company or institution and when extending your residence permit, also certifications of your success in studies. For local police stations see Contact information on page 51–52. For further information visit the website of the Finnish immigration Service www. (> english > Studying) and the website of the Finnish Police www.poliisi. fi (> Licenses > Licenses and permits for foreigners).


Family members

A person who wishes to come to Finland and live in the same household with a family member residing here must have a residence permit. The permit can be granted on the basis of family ties. If you want your family members to move to Finland to live with you they will need their own residence permit. The demands for the residence permit will be the same as any other applicant. For example the applicant needs to prove that he/ she has the needed financial support to live in Finland. The family member who already is in Finland is so called sponsor. Who are considered as family members is quite narrow compared to other countries. By the Finnish law the family members are:

  • Registered partner
  • Cohabiting partner
  • Guardian of a child under 18 years of age
  • Child


Check lists

Residence permit applicants checklist

Document checklist